Agenda: Thursday 28th November | All Sessions
|Main Conference Day 1 | European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
Exhibition opens at 08:15 | Conference sessions held from 08:50 - 18:30
Transition from Traditional Business Model of Power Generation to
Incorporating Virtual Power-Plant Capacity | Case Study: Verbund
- Expanding a network of “virtual power plants” purchasing energy from
own generator homes and business driven by renewables, solar, wind,
biomass and hydro plants
- Leverage costs and relationships with clients by cross-selling other
- Partnering with software companies to power new virtual offerings
- Integrating supply with clients
Speaker: Wolfgang Pell, Managing Director, VERBUND Solutions
DSOs Transition to Real Time System Operation with Distributed Resources
- Enabling the transition from passive to active networks and clients:
Overcoming the challenges for the distribution grids
- DSO evolution and contribution to the increasing complexity of the
- Implementing Active Network Management solutions: approaches and
Speaker: Raphael Rinaldi, Head of EU/Transnational subsidized programs,
Network Development, Global Infrastructures & Networks, ENEL
With more than 10 years experience in the electricity sector, Raphael Rinaldi is
currently involved in several European-scale Smart Grids projects and initiatives
in this field.
- Adapting your business strategy and transition to a low-carbon economy
- The changes in the distribution of electricity
- The impact and growth of renewables and new technologies
- Empowering customers with 'smart' innovation, digital services
How UK Power Networks is Meeting Its Long-Term Challenges of a Low
Carbon Economy | Implementing New Technologies & Distribution Systems
Engaging in Europe's Evermore Flexible Energy Markets | The New Entrants
the Emerging Market Rules and Systems
- Assessment of capacity remuneration mechanisms operating in Europe
- New providers in ancillary/balancing markets in the context of electricity
demand and distributed generation
Speaker: Michele Governatori, Institutional & Regulation Affairs Director, Axpo
Axpo Italia SpA sells and trades energy products and derivatives. It supplies
electric power that is produced from hydro, wind, solar, and biomass sources;
and natural gas.
Nuclear & Coal Policies, Renewable Objectives, Development of Storage
Technologies & Interconnectors | Which Technology will be at Margin
Speaker: Pierre Buisson, Research Manager, Genscape
Pierre Buisson, Research Manager for the EPSI Platform at Genscape, has more
than nine years’ experience in mid-to-long term power market modelling. Pierre
is in charge of all the data research activities for the EPSI Platform. Expert in EU
Power Markets, he has also taken an active part in the expansion of the EPSI
Platform to Japan, Mexico and the US.
Prior to joining the EPSI team, Pierre was manager of the Global Energy
Forecasting department in a renowned consulting company where he
worked on a number of modelling and forecasting assignments
including developing supply and demand energy scenarios.
Agenda | Day 1
& Round Table
|"The event gives a great
overview of the challenges
being faced by the utilities
industry today together
with a snapshot of the
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
Dr. George Papaioannou,
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Sabrina van de Kerk,
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
informed of the current
situation in European
energy markets, the return
on capital investments,
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Alexey Gruber, Head of
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
Andreas Frömmel, VP -
Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
Dr. William Kyte
Former Senior Advisor
E.ON & EURELECTRIC
Limited to a maximum of 10 participants per discussion, the end-of-day private round table
discussion groups provide participants with an excellent networking opportunity. Participants
pre-register their seat to come together over a specific issue and speak openly and frankly on
issues and challenges with their peers and leading specialists offering a valuable opportunity for
focussed and extended exchange of knowledge, ideas and solutions. Light refreshments and
canapes are also served during the discussions
End-of-Day Private Round Table Discussions | 17:20 - 18:30
18:30 | Day 1 Sessions End
the Steering Committee of the Nominated Electricity Market Operators
(NEMO), which gathers the Power Exchanges licensed to develop and
operate market coupling in Europe
Local, Digital, Flexible: Towards a Renewed European Power Spot Market
Agenda | Day 2
Speaker: David Assaad, Director of Marketing & Customer Solutions, EPEX SPOT
- How power spot markets are moving further short-term and more flexible
- The implications and potential released by the digitalization of spot power
- How local flexibility markets are going to complement the European
David has more than 10 years’ experience in the Power market industry and
leads the European market integration business unit of EPEXSPOT and sits on
|MEA & India
Power Systems Forum
Balancing Europe's National, Regional and EU-Wide Power System
Throughout the Entire Value Chain | From Power Generators, Distributed
Resources, TSOs, DSOs and Prosumers
- Utilising new elements, methods & technologies to balance the electricity
- Using EVs as a balancing mechanism: Case study – the Netherlands
- Potential role of blockchain technology as a congestion management tool
Speaker: Jan Vorrink, Manager National Control Center, TenneT TSO BV
Jan is the manager of the National Control Centre of TenneT TSO BV
which is the Dutch Transmission System Operator. Mr. Vorrink
graduated with a Master in Business Administration and is an Engineer.
- Overview of the US power market and new regulatory developments
- Utility scale power storage
- Development and future requirements of bulk power systems
- Cyber, physical security, and potential GMD and EMP emergency
Speaker: Brian Evans-Mongeon, CEO, Utility Services (USA)
Brian Evans-Mongeon has over twenty-five years of experience in the electrical
utility business working for both Green Mountain Power corporation as a power
operations & administration manager and Vermont Public Power supply authority
as a marketing services manager. As the president and CEO of Utility Services, he
is responsible for oversight of constituent’s ERO compliance and monitoring, ISO
& NEPOOL markets, and renewable energy trading and associated activities.
USA Power Market Developments, Resilience, New Technologies & Risks
- The benefits that energy storage can provide and issues to be addressed
- Deploying a robust smart grid for the future to enable the integration of
renewable and distributed energy resources
- Supporting customer choices, improve grid stability and to improve power
- The use of innovative energy technologies and energy storage
The Role of Energy Storage in Smarter Energy Infrastructures
Speaker: Dr. Lawrence E. Jones, Vice President, International Programs,
Edison Electric Insitute (EEI)
New Technologies & Advances in Large Scale Storage Deployment
Current and Future Solutions & Applications
- Best means to secure the grid: exploring new technologies
- The important risks and limitations regarding storage solutions
- The business case for storage solutions
Speaker: Timothee Hinchliffe, Project Manager, Energy Storage, EDF
Timothée Hinchliffe is project manager on energy storage economics at EDF
R&D. His main focus over the past five years has been the assessment of
energy storage needs through the use of modelling, and considering the
competition with other flexibility levers such as interconnections or demand
response. Timothée holds a Master’s in Electrical engineering from Supelec.
13:00 - 14:00
Lunch in the Networking Lounge
Coffee Break & Refreshments in the Networking Lounge
Coffee Break & Refreshments in the Networking Lounge
Energy as a Service | Forming a Strategic Partnership with the Customer
- Compiling several customer offerings into one holistic Energy
- Savings without investments - The customer journey
- Offering commercial flexibility products
As a specialist in the Nordic, UK and German electricity wholesale and Ancillary
Services markets Thomas is responsible for the regulatory management of
Orsted's flexibility business through strategic development, regulatory impact
assessment, as well as business processes and solution design. Projects
include Smart Energy, Demand Response and flexibility.
Speaker: Thomas Kudela, Regulatory Manager, Distribution & Customer
Solutions, Orsted (Dong Energy)
Discussion 2 | Power Utility Transformation & Digistisation
Discussion 3 | Trading Developments, Systems, Markets & Volumes
Discussion 4 | T&D System Requirements for Managing 40-60% RES
Discussion 5 | EV Infractructure Development & Power System Integration
Discussion 6 | New Technology Utilisation in Distributed Power Systems
Discussion 7 | Security System Design Within Smart Grid Architecture
Discussion 9 | EU Regulatory Developments & Risk Management
Discussion 1 | CEO/MD & Power Europe Executive Advisory Panel
Discussion 10 | Demand Response Systems for Power Generators
Discussion 8 | Storage Systems & Distribution & Retail Market Applications
Discussion 11 | Middle East & Africa Power System Design & Development
- How to organize the interaction between TSO and DSO in order to allow an
efficient provision of ancillary services from distribution
- How this can be framed into the EU regulatory framework
- The kind of market architecture that will best fit
- Guaranteeing efficient monitoring and control through of the grid through
specific ICT architectures
How to Deploy Smart Grid Applications to Combat Power Outages and Cut
Speaker: Mark Ossel, Member of the Board, OSGP Alliance
Interflex Smart Grid Project: Advanced Management and Operation Strategies
for Distributed Energy Resources
This session will specifically focus on:
Speakers: Thorsten Gross, Project Manager | Avacon AG - E.ON Group Interflex |
- Overview of the H2020 funded project Interflex
- Advanced management and operation strategies for distributed energy
- Dealing with complex curtailment management
- The integration of customer-owned flexibility in grid operation
- Concepts for demand side management from a DSO perspective
Enora Paslier, Communications Officer, ENEDIS | Interflex
Selected by the European Commission among 28 other candidates, in the framework of the
biggest EU Research and Innovation programme, Horizon 2020, the smart grid project InterFlex
was officially launched in January 1st, 2017. For the three years of its Duration 20 project partners
will explore new ways to use various forms of flexibilities in the aim of optimizing the electric power
system on a local scale. InterFlex investigates the Interactions between Flexibilities provided by
energy market players and the distribution grid, with a particular focus on energy storage, smart
charging of electric vehicles, demand response, islanding, grid automation and the integration of
different energy carriers (gas, heat, electricity).
New Developments in Solar Power and its Application to European
Conventional and Distributed Power Systems
- New solar technology and its capabilities
- Solar technology's role in new distributed generation systems
- Overcoming financing challenges for solar projects in Europe
Speaker: Bruce Douglas, Chief Operating Officer and CEO, SolarPower Europe
Bruce Douglas has been working in renewable energy for 20 years and
is currently the Chief Operating Officer of SolarPower Europe, a
member-led association based in Brussels representing organizations
active along the whole solar value chain. Previously, he was Chief
Operating Officer at the European Wind Energy Association (EWEA) for
10 years, founding Secretary General of the Global Wind Energy Council
(GWEC) and Managing Director of FLiDAR, an offshore wind startup
company, which he led to profitability and exit over four years.
2018 World Energy Report | Trends & Fuel Price Dynamics - Implications on
Power Utilities: What Will Tomorrow's Power Sector Look Like?
- Latest data, technology trends & policies: implications to the energy sector
- Integrated ways to meet multiple sustainable development goals
- Impacts of cost reductions in key clean energy technologies
- Fast-changing dynamics of energy investment and incentives for investment
to ensure reliable supply, and what share of our total energy needs can
ultimately be met by electricity?
- How innovation can improve the environmental performance of oil and gas
- New Sustainable Development Scenario: The linkages between energy and
Strategic Decision-Making in the Development and Diversification of the
Power Production Portfolio | Case Study: Lietuvos Energija
Power Portfolio Management and Strategy: Responding to the Challenges
Created By Decarbonisation, Hydrocarbon and Electricity Price Dynamics
- Moving away from the dependence of Gas to Power.
- Choosing wind energy as one of the development directions.
- Current and future opportunities to acquisitions of existing wind power.
parks outside Lithuania (BaltCap).
Speaker: Dominykas Tučkus, Generation & Services Director, Lietuvos Energija
Mr. Tuckus has served as Member of the Supervisory Board of since December
21, 2015. Key responsibilities include leading negotiations with LNG suppliers,
establishing and managing key functional teams, managing relations with
stakeholders, engaging in the establishment of regulatory framework, and
raising capital for startup projects.
Speaker: Hando Sutter, Chairman of the Management Board, Eesti Energia
- Maintaining competitiveness in the power market.
- Wholesale market issues.
- Targets and new business plans the current oil price economy.
- The new parameters and projections for the future of the energy sector
with the current tendencies in oil prices (e.g. Estonia/ Europe)
- Increasing RES contribution to the power portfolio
Prior to joining Enefit, Mr. Sutter served for four years as the Regional Market
Manager of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia for Nord Pool Spot, the largest
electricity exchange in the Nordic region. He has also served as a consultant in
the energy, investment and entertainment fields. He holds a degree in
mechanical engineering from the Tallinn University of Technology and in
business administration from the Estonian Business School.
Benelux & Netherlands Power Market Developments Outlook
- Status and Outlook for Benelux/Netherlands Energy Markets and
Implementation of Klimaatakkoord
- The Potential for Hydrogen in the Benelux/Netherlands Power Markets
Speaker & Discussion Leader: André Jurres, FMR CEO Essent (Belgium), CEO
Welcome to the New Digital Energy Era - How Advanced Optimization Can
Unlock the Real Value of Flexibility
- Flexibility – Why so much fuss about it?
- How much Flexibility and how much capacity is needed?
- Why co-optimisation of balancing and reserves provision?
- Why LMPs are needed
Speaker: Dr. Christos Papadopoulos,
Regional Director Europe, Energy Exemplar
Looking Forward to a Decarbonised, Decentralised and Digitalised Energy
System, As We Replace Conventional Generation with Renewables, While
Simultaneously Electrifying Heat and Transportation
- Meeting the flexibility needs of the future system.
- How will it be valued and traded?
- Will distribution network congestion be ‘normal’?
- How local network congestion can be managed, and by whom.
|Discussion Panel Leader: Stephen Woodhouse, Chief Digital Officer,
New Approaches and Innovation to Manage Power DSO & TSO Transition
Challenges | Impacts of Smart Technologies and Distributed Generation
Open Keynote Discussion Led by the Power Europe Executive Advisory Board:
- Review of 2017/2018 critical grid situations
- Utilising blockchain technology as a potential congestion management tool
- Examining spot pricing for European retails markets
- Future assignment of roles and responsibilities on distributed power systems
- Tipping point for RES and PV - implications for generators and the power market value chain
Speaker: Sotiris Georgiopoulos, Head of Smart Grid Development,
UK Power Networks
Sotiris is responsible for business rollout of the successful innovation
projects and the delivery of UK Power Networks’ DSO strategy. Sotiris
has over 10 years experience with UK Power Networks in the areas of
innovation, construction and energy services development.
Speaker: Brent Wanner, Lead, Power Generation Analysis, World Energy Outlook:
Energy Demand Division -Technology and Outlooks, International Energy Agency
Developing and Maintaining Critical Power Assets in Context of Distributed
RES Production & Storage Methods and Technologies
Speaker: Matjaz Marovt, Director General, Holding Slovenske Elektrarne (HSE)
- Overview of the HSE power asset portfolio.
- Rejuvenation of key assets - Balancing investments in new production vs
ageing legacy assets.
- Impact and management of distributed RES Production
- Responsibly managing hydro assets in environmentally sensitive areas
HSE is a state-owned power generation company in Slovenia. It is the largest
company in Slovenia and was established by a government decision in 2001.
The company consists of hydroelectric plants based on the Drava, Sava, and
Soča rivers and coal-fired power plants in Brestanica, Šoštanj, and Velenje.
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
27 - 29 November 2019 | Prague | Czech Republic