Agenda: Wednesday 28th November
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
27-29th November 2017 | Sofitel Hotel | Vienna | Austria
|For sponsorship, Exhibition or Marketing Partner Enquiries please write to
Exhibition opens at 12:00 | Conference sessions commence at 13:00
Distributed Energy Resource Management
Dedicated Extended Workshop (2.5 hours)
Part 1 | Introduction to Distributed Energy Resources
- The Rise of Distributed Energy Resources – The history and status of DERs. Current
business cases and initiatives.
- The Regulatory and Market Environment for DERs – The impacts of EU, cross-border,
national, and local policies and regulations. Current debates and controversies (e.g.,
capacity). The status and prospects of DER markets. What TSOs and DSOs should expect
as the context for their initiatives.
- Virtual Power Plants (VPPs) - VPP varieties and alternatives: definition, role, and design.
Examples of different VPP types now deployed. VPP plans and design for the future.
- Technical and Operating Challenges for DERs – Performance criteria for DERs. How DERs
work. Managing DERs compared to managing traditional energy resources. Technical
issues of DER design, deployment, operation, and maintenance. What a DERMS needs to
- Q & A followed by a short break.
Part 2 | Distributed Energy Resource Management
- Standard Management Methods - Traditional approaches to managing DERs (e.g.,
operating constraints, grid devices).
- Distributed Energy Resource Management Systems (DERMS) – Software platform and
architecture. Integration with other platforms. TSO vs. DSO design differences. Cybersecurity.
- DERMS Use Cases – TSO, DSO and energy-supplier use cases for DERMS.
- Q & A
Part 3 | Developing DERMS and Supporting VPPs in Your Organization
- Selection - What to ask vendors during the planning stage. DERMS and VPP performance
criteria to include in a Request-for-Proposal (RFP). Pricing. Selection metrics.
- Testing – How to design and operate DERMS and VPP Proof of Concept tests across a
variety of requirements. Discovering and employing best-practices and learning from other
organizations. Evaluating test results.
- Deployment – Integrating DERMS and VPPs with other systems and resources. Upgrading
DERMS and VPPs.
- Future Challenges – What to expect as DERs continue to develop. VPP market prospects.
New research & development directions for TSOs, DSOs, and their suppliers.
- Q & A
Presented by: Craig Boice, Senior Advisor to the President, Bud Vos, President & Eric Young, Vice
President, Enbala Power Networks
How UK Power Networks is Meeting the Long-Term Challenges of a Low
Carbon Economy | New Technologies & Distribution System Transformation
- Adapting business strategy with the transition to a low-carbon economy
- Overcoming the challenges given the changes in the distribution of electricity
- The impact and growth of renewables and implementation of new technologies
- Empowering customers with 'smart' innovation, digital services
Speaker: Suleman Alli, Director of Safety, Strategy &
Support Services, UK Power Networks
17:30 | Pre - Conference Forum Sessions Close
20:00 | Official Power Europe Welcome Dinner for All Summit Attendees
ENEL's 'Open Power Strategy' | New Technologies and Business Strategy
- The Formula E project: sharing innovative products and solutions to a
- Transition to the 'Smart City' of the future with new technologies in
electrical mobility, networks and renewable energy
- Enels positioning as a modern utility that is open, flexible, responsive
and able to lead the energy transition.
Speaker: Joao Duarte, Head of Brand Strategy and Activation, ENEL
|"The event gives a great
overview of the challenges
being faced by the utilities
industry today together
with a snapshot of the
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
Dr. George Papaioannou,
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Sabrina van de Kerk,
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
informed of the current
situation in European
energy markets, the return
on capital investments,
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Alexey Gruber, Head of
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
Andreas Frömmel, VP -
Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
Dr. William Kyte
Former Senior Advisor
E.ON & EURELECTRIC
Conference Session Timings Overview | 27th - 29th November
Agenda | Day 1
& Round Table
13:45 - 14:15
The Strategic Utilisation of Gas To Meet the Challenges of the ‘Clean
Energy for all Europeans’ Package
- How natural and renewable gas can hold the key to cost effective solutions,
within market design, energy efficiency, renewables or the energy
performance of buildings.
- Gas to electricity as an important back up and flexibility in supporting the
variability of renewable energy sources
- Recognising the link between gas and retail issues raised by the “winter
package” | consumer rights and empowerment
Speaker: Beate Raabe, Secretary General, EUROGAS
14:15 - 14:45
15:10 - 17:30
Coffee Break & Refreshments in the Networking Lounge
09:00 - 09:30