Distributed Energy Resource Management
Dedicated Extended Workshop | 27th November 2017
Lead by Enbala Power Networks (2.5 hours)
Part 1 | Introduction to Distributed Energy Resources
- The Rise of Distributed Energy Resources – The history and status of DERs. Current
business cases and initiatives.
- The Regulatory and Market Environment for DERs – The impacts of EU, cross-border,
national, and local policies and regulations. Current debates and controversies (e.g.,
capacity). The status and prospects of DER markets. What TSOs and DSOs should expect
as the context for their initiatives.
- Virtual Power Plants (VPPs) - VPP varieties and alternatives: definition, role, and design.
Examples of different VPP types now deployed. VPP plans and design for the future.
- Technical and Operating Challenges for DERs – Performance criteria for DERs. How DERs
work. Managing DERs compared to managing traditional energy resources. Technical
issues of DER design, deployment, operation, and maintenance. What a DERMS needs to
- Q & A followed by a short break.
Part 2 | Distributed Energy Resource Management
- Standard Management Methods - Traditional approaches to managing DERs (e.g.,
operating constraints, grid devices).
- Distributed Energy Resource Management Systems (DERMS) – Software platform and
architecture. Integration with other platforms. TSO vs. DSO design differences. Cybersecurity.
- DERMS Use Cases – TSO, DSO and energy-supplier use cases for DERMS.
- Q & A
Part 3 | Developing DERMS and Supporting VPPs in Your Organization
- Selection - What to ask vendors during the planning stage. DERMS and VPP performance
criteria to include in a Request-for-Proposal (RFP). Pricing. Selection metrics.
- Testing – How to design and operate DERMS and VPP Proof of Concept tests across a
variety of requirements. Discovering and employing best-practices and learning from other
organizations. Evaluating test results.
- Deployment – Integrating DERMS and VPPs with other systems and resources. Upgrading
DERMS and VPPs.
- Future Challenges – What to expect as DERs continue to develop. VPP market prospects.
New research & development directions for TSOs, DSOs, and their suppliers.
- Q & A
Craig Boice, Senior Advisor to the President, Enbala Power Networks
Bud Vos, President, Enbala Power Networks
Eric Young, Vice President, Enbala Power Networks
The presenting team will be available immediately after the workshop, and throughout the event, for
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
27-29th November 2017 | Sofitel Hotel | Vienna | Austria
Agenda: Monday 27th November | DERMS Extended Workshop
Exhibition opens at 12:00 | Conference sessions commence at 13:15
Extended DERMS Workshop
by Enbala Power Networks
Agenda | Day 1
& Round Table
Agenda | Day 2
|MEA & India
Power Systems Forum
Agenda 27th November