|Main Conference Day 2 | European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
|Exhibition opens at 08:15 | Conference sessions held from 09:00 - 16:30
State Aid and Antitrust Enforcement Actions in the Energy Sector
Speaker: Paolo Chiricozzi, Head of Competition and State Aid, ENEL*
Paolo is graduated in law and attended a Master in EU Laws, Politics and
Antitrust. He joined Enel in 2000 working in the Regulatory, Public Affairs,
Antitrust and EU Affairs Divisions. He has covered different roles in Enel Group
both in Rome and Brussels. He is since July 2014 Head of Competition and
State Aid. Paolo has managed the main competition cases of Enel Group during
the last 15 years (Mergers, Joint Ventures, State Aid and Antitrust Cases) and
has leaded antitrust compliance programs worldwide for Enel Group (Italy,
- Considering energy transition and sector coupling more closely. What
sector coupling actually means for electricity and gas markets.
- Decarbonisation and sectoral coupling.- How natural gas can used as a
transitional fuel before being replaced by green gas or hydrogen.
Customer Flexibility as a Key Factor for Sector Coupling & Decarbonisation
The New Green Deal Transition: Challenges, Progress and Continuing
Implications for the Power Sector and Future EU Policy Revisions
Speaker: Dr. Holger Wiechmann, Senior Manager, Product Management B2C
Within his fields of expertise Dr. Holger Wiechmann was involved since the
beginning on the liberalization of EU energy markets. He is engaged in
fundamental questions of the energy markets, market design and the energy
transition with its increasing capacity for renewable energy and the necessity
of flexibility to integrate it into the system.
Can P2P Trading be the Next Non-Platform for Energy Trading?
Speaker: Christian Feisst, Chief Executive Officer, Greencom Networks
- What could blockchain technology do for peer-to-peer trading models
that can serve energy markets in local power generation, storage and
- What are the regulatory implications and settlement processes based
on the blockchain
GreenCom Networks AG operates as an IoT platform that enables
disruptive digital business and leverages increasing share of distributed
energy assets. The Company offers solutions for peer-to-peer, district, and
green energy, as well as heating and cooling, solar PV, batteries, electric
cars, and heat pumps. GreenCom Networks serves customers in Germany.
Developing Cost-Efficient Solar Charging Infrastructure
Speaker: Wolfgang Schmittner, CEO, nrg4.you GmbH
MEA | Middle East, Africa & India Power Systems Development Forum
The Rise and Integration of RES Projects in the Gulf Region
Inv. Speaker: H.E Dr. Rashid Obaid Jumaa Al Leem, Chairman, Sharjah
Electricity and Water Authority (SEWA)*
Dr. Rashid Obaid Jumaa Al Leem) is the chairman of Sharjah Electricity and
Water Authority (SEWA). The ruler of Sharjah chose him at the young age to the
project of building and economic zone in the emirate. He has also written several
books. T he Vice-President and Prime Minister of the U.A.E. and Ruler of Dubai
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, honoured him the title Ambassador
of Knowledge of the UAE.He has received several international honours and
awards in different fields. He also received an award of Middle East Business
Leaders Award 2012 by the President of Indonesia
|IRAN | Fulfilling Power Requirements | New Projects & Systems Development
Speaker: Negar Nematollahi, International Business Development
Manager, Monenco Iran*
Monenco Iran Consulting Engineers was founded in 1973 as a joint venture
between the private sector of Iran and Montreal Engineering Company of
Canada. Since 1997, the main shareholders have been Mapna Group and
AMEC. Monenco has established 10 regional branch/technical offices in Iran
and 3 international subsidiaries in Germany, Oman and Nigeria.
Telecommunication, Dispatching and Automation Division is one of the five
project-based divisions of Monenco Iran Consulting Engineers. It was
formed over 20 years ago to support other divisions within the power
- Dealing with the rising challenge of integrating Distributed Energy
- The impact of the Clean Energy Package and Article 32.
- Utilising a local market platform to engage the challenge.
- Case studie from the UK and Canada.
With ever-increasing delegates attending Power-Europe annually from non-European operators
the Middle East Africa and India Power Systems Development Forum (taking place on the
afternoon of Friday the 29th of November (14:30 - 16:30) gives attending delegates the
opportunity to gain insights into developments, projects and technological adoption trends in
non-European / Western markets. The forum also gives the opportunity for European based
experts to become more familiar with the potential contribution their know-how could be applied to
emerging market challenges. The forum is available for all interested delegates to attend
MIDDLE EAST & PERSIAN GULF
|For sponsorship, Exhibition or Marketing Partner Enquiries please write to
16:30 | Conference Sessions End & Chairmans Closing Remarks
Making Strategic Investments in Generation and Distribution Assets
Speaker: Dr. Ivan Androcec, Section Head of Investment Strategy and New
- CCGT, hydropower and biomass new builds projects under construction
- Upgrades to distribution networks and new-builds to meet new electricity
demand and connect of new clients in large cities, tourist and industrial
- Thermal energy rehabilitation of the main parts of hot-water network in the
cities of Zagreb, Osijek and Sisak.
- Investment in renewable energy sources to meet sustainability goals and
diversify the fuel mix for the generation portfolio
The nrg4.you develops and coordinates the production and system integration
of modern hybrid power plants, consisting of wind turbines (WEA), photovoltaic
power plants (PV) and energy storage systems (ESS). For market introduction,
approval, construction and operation incl. Service and maintenance of the
complete system solutions, there are cooperations with the regional project
partners. New countries and regions are constantly being added as the energy
transition has become a global concern. nrg4.you provides the appropriate
systems for relieving decentralized power grids and direct supply to industrial
companies and municipalities.
The Invisibles - Harnessing Digital Twins in Energy Systems and Markets
Speaker: Dr. Lawrence E. Jones, Vice President, International Programs, Edison
- Why what we can’t see matters the most
- IoT and the behavior of everything
- Invisible innovations and digital twins
- Digitizing physical assets and the transformation from value chain to value
Electric Insitute (EEI) | Prior to joining EEI, Dr. Jones was North America Vice
President for Utility Innovation & Infrastructure Resilience at Alstom Grid Inc.,
where he assisted utilities worldwide with formulating strategies for deploying
new technology innovated business solutions.
- Overview of the methodologies being planned and used in Member States
- Expected outcomes and their impacts
- Implications for the power industry
Speaker: Anne-Katherina Weidenbach, Policy Officer, DG ENERGY
Anne Katherina is a lawyer and deputy head of section Gas Transmission Network
Deputy Co-Chair of ACER CAM TF, she is involved in the implementation of NC CAM
and in the development of the incremental process. Prior to joining BNetzA, she
worked for several years as an attorney-at-law with an international law firm in
Brussels where she practiced in competition and energy law.
Obervermuntwerk II and Kops II – Best Practice Examples to meet the Goal
- Energy Transition – requirements to generators and system security
- Facing the challenges based on huge RES generation in future
- Technical challenges to hydropower units
- How Hydropower can help to meet the strategy of RES targets.
Electrification of Transport - Grid & Storage Technological Options
Speaker: Dr. Gerd Schauer, Senior Technology Manager, Innovation &
Congestion Management & TSO/DSO Co-ordination
- Achieving market-based procurement of flexibility
- The effective utilisation of aggregators
- Significance of correct market design
- New insights in data management
Speaker: Paul de Wit, Senior Advisor Regulatory Affairs, Alliander
Paul de Wit, is the senior advisor for Regulatory Affairs at Alliander and is heavily
involved with EG1, Eurelectric and the new Alliander DSO entity.
The 3D Impact on Power Spot Trading
|Speaker: David Assaad, Director Marketing & Customer Solutions, EPEX SPOT
- Introduction to artificial Intelligence and machine learning.
- Application of AI within workflows, predictive analytics, grid management,
renewable power integration and load balancing.
- TSO and DSO applications and operational optimisation.
- Retail market applications: profitability and revenue maximisation.
Application of Artificial Intelligence within the Commercial Development of
the Power Value Chain and the Retail Market
Borealis where he engages and collaborates with diverse segments of the
Energy Value Chain (DSOs, Cable Makers, Electrical Designers, Installers and
Standardization Bodies). He strives to support VC partners in achieving their
goals putting main emphasis on innovation and sustainability. Jarosław is
having more than 20 year experience in Energy Sector.
XLPE/ PE Low Voltage Cable Solutions Making Distribution Networks More
Cost-Effective and Sustainable
|Speaker: Peter Matt, Head of Engineering Services,
Vorarlberger Illwerke AG
Speaker: Jarosław Zdrzałek, Value Chain Development Manage, Borealis
Previously, Jarosław worked as a Business Development Account
Supervisor for Electro Department in 3M.
Dr. Schauer is based at the Innovation, Research and Development of
Verbund (Holding) and coordinates R&D activities. He graduated
“electrical engineer” (1981, Technical University of Vienna) and he
developed power electronics and converted EV for achieving PhD (1988,
University of Mining, Leoben). At Verbund he is involved in R&D-projects in
the fields of new renewable energiesand is Senior Technology Manager in
the Competence Centre (hydro power, PV, wind, biomass) and electric
vehicles. His task is the general management of research activities at
|has been once again, Luis
Ferreira, Head of Energy
Efficiency & Electric Mobility,
"Excellent overview of the
challenges being faced by
the utilities industry today
the technical solutions
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
situation in European
"Extremely useful to be
energy markets, the return
informed of the current on
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Financial Planning Director
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
VP - Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
E.ON & EURELECTRIC
How Next Generation 'Geographical Information Systems' (GIS) are
Minimising the Cybersecurity Risk and Delivering Safe and Secure
Third-Party Access for the Utilities Companies
Speaker: Madis Männik, Head of Network Systems Management, Elektrilevi
Elektrilevi supplies electricity to almost all households and companies in
customers and maintains almost 61,000 kilometres of power lines and more
than 24,000 substations.
Rethinking the Approach to Power Utility Cyber-Security System Design and
- The new security needs of the new power operator
- Keeping up with new threats - System life-cycle & upgrade
- Frequent security problem areas and new approaches to manage them
- Case study examples of threats and attacks
- Adopting a collaborative approach to grid security
Speaker: Emil Gurevitch, Security Software Engineer, NES Corporation
Emil is an experienced information security expert passionaEmil Gurevitch is an
experienced information security expert passionate about building a smart grid
platform that meets tomorrow’s expectations of safe and resilient critical
infrastructure. He has deep technical knowledge in infiltrating mission-critical
systems and a strong background in conducting vulnerability research, exploit
development, and business oriented risk analyses.
Utility Cyber-Security Approaches and New Challenges
Speaker: Bas Kruimer, Director for Intelligent Networks & Communication,
- Practical examples of cyber-security projects in Power Generation,
Network Operations and Grid Telecoms
- Success factors for a targeted and focused (cyber)security project to
enhance the Security Posture
- Getting all elements in place to prove compliance to internal and
external (regulation) requirements
Bas has extensive experience in smart energy & intelligent grid operations and
security.His key focus is on operations, automation and security of utility grids
and processes addressing strategic & operational challenges and
implementation of the energy transition and renewables integration.
|Power Utility Resilliance, Cyber-Security Approaches & New Challenges
|New Energy Communities: Opportunities & Challenges for Power System
Utilities and Operators
- Definitions from the EU directives (RED II, IEM)
- Implementation of ECs in the existing regulatory framework
- Support of ECs: exemption from system fees vs explicit incentives
Speaker: Diana Moneta, Head, Active Networks: Demand and Distribution
Management Group, RSE | RICERCA SUL SISTEMA ENERGETICO SpA
RSE carries out research into the field of electrical energy with special focus
on national strategic projects funded through the Fund for Research into
Electrical Systems. Activity covers the entire supply system with an
application-oriented, experimental and system-based approach.
Clean Energy Package: Article 32: The Need for New Local Flexibility Markets
P2P Trading & Challenges for Utilities by Localised Energy Communities
India Power & Smart Grids Overview | Energy Transition & Modernization
- Market overview - installed capacity of 357 GW with 300 million customers.
- De-carbonization of the Power System: India is also pursuing an ambitious
renewable energy (RE) program with a target of 175 GW by 2022 of which
82 GW is already commissioned.
- Smart Grid Initiatives in India.
- De-carbonization of Transport.
- Smart Metering: Govt of India is planning to launch a program for 300
million smart meters.
- Energy Storage Systems Roadmap for India for the period 2021 to 2032.
|Speaker: Reji Kumar Pillai, President, India Smart Grid Forum
& Chairman, Global Smart Grid Federation
Speaker: Reji Kumar Pillai, Chairman, Global Smart Grid Federation
The Global Smart Energy Federation is a global stakeholder
organization committed to creating smarter, cleaner electrical systems
around the world and is comprised of national smart grid associations,
forward-looking utilities, and think tanks.
Speaker :Jo Jo Hubbard , COO & Co-Founder, Electron
Wednesday 27th October | 13:00 - 17:00 Power Financing & New technologies Pre-Conference Forum + Welcome Dinner
Friday 29th of October | 09:00 - 16:30 | Main Conference Day 2 | Keynotes EDP/EPG & Retail Market Streamed Sessions
Thursday 28th of October | 09:00 - 18:00 | Main Conference Day 1 | Keynotes, EPD/ EPG & Retail Market Streamed Sessions
Arrivals & Departures: The conference agenda is designed to allow international delegates to conveniently arrive on the morning of
Wednesday the 27th and to depart on the afternoon/evening of Friday the 29th of October. The attendee accommodation rate at the
venue/hotel are available for 3 days either side of the official summit dates (for delegates that wish to stay for longer in Amsterdam
Annual Congress & Summit Dates & Timings | Amsterdam - The Netherlands
- Decarbonisation: The impact of RES penetration in the spot power
- Digitalisation: How automated trading facilitates management of versatile
- Decentralisation: which new market actors and business models are
emerging and how the power spot market evolution help them grow.
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
27th - 29th October 2021 | Amsterdam | Netherlands
Preliminary Agenda: Friday the 29th of October | All Sessions
- Innovating /digital transformation using the ´Agile´ methodology.
- Doing the enablement of client teams to embed the solution in the
- Examples of success stories of implementation within power utility energy
Introducing the Bionic Power Networks of the Future
|Speaker: Ferdinand Varga, Managing Director & Senior Partner,
Boston Consulting Group
The Evolving Role of Prosumers in Increasingly Flexible Energy Systems
- Different types of prosumer models: households, communities, commercial
- How incentives are changing (due to the EU's clean energy package and
- The increasing role of flexibility in prosumer models.
Alicia Medina Villanueva
Development & Communications Manager Analyst, smartEn
New Approaches and Innovation to Manage Power Transition Challenges
Keynote Discussion Led by the Power Europe Executive Advisory Board:
- Review of 2020/2021 critical grid situations and challenges.
- Utilising blockchain technology as a potential congestion management tool.
- Examining spot pricing for European retails markets.
- Future assignment of roles and responsibilities on distributed power systems.
- Tipping point for RES and PV - implications for generators and the power market value chain
|Building a Robust In-House Regulatory and Contracts Management Team and
- The reasons for developing an in-house contract management team.
- Dealing with EFET and ISDA based contracts.
- EEX market building.
- CRM implementation.
- Current & longer term challenges:
- - Formulating robust PPAs
- - The future challenges (Post-Covid) in trading and supply markets given the
challenge in securing long-term positions by producers
|Speaker: Serena Golino, Regulatory Affairs Specialist, E.ON
REPUBLIC OF CONGO | Development of National and Regional Green and
Brown Field Power Projects
ZAMBIA | Major Power Sector Investment, Project and Technology Overview
- USAID Power Africa Pillars
- uropean Union Country Project Example
- On-Grid and Off-Grid Mini-hydro and DER Projects
- Regional Interconnector Projects
Overview | Africa Power Market Developments and Regional Co-operation
Sule Ahmed Abdulaziz, Managing Director /CEO, Transmission Company of Nigeria
Lemba Nyirenda, President, Zambia National Electrotechnical Committee*
Eric Mbala Musanda, President, NEC (Democratic Republic of Congo)*
Lebbi Changullah, Executive Secretary, East African Power Pool*
Overview | Overview of Nigeria's Developing Power Market and Generation
and Distribution Infrastructure & Future Expansions and Projects
- Nigerian generation, TSO and DSO power market overview.
- Operating expanding and upgrading transmission facilities for efficient
and effective distribution of generated electricity.
- Creating adequate network redundancies to ensure reliability and
reducing transmission losses.
- Inter-connection with neighboring Countries
- Ensure that safety and environmental issues are managed to meet
- Standardization of procurement procedure to reflect international
Speaker: Sule Ahmed Abdulaziz, Managing Director /Chief Executive Officer ,
Transmission Company of Nigeria
AFRICA | National & Regional Case Studies
|the Current & Future Challenges in Energy Trading & Supply