|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
27th - 29th October 2021 | Amsterdam | Netherlands
Agenda: Wednesday 27th October | All Sessions
|Main Conference Day 1 | European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
Sector Integration, The Next Step in Energy Transition
- Overview of key markets and how they are evolving.
- Overcoming economics and barriers to development.
|Speaker: Francesco Venturini,Chairman and CEO, Enel X
David Assaad has more than 10 years’ experience in the power market. He
integrated EPEX SPOT, the European Spot Power Exchange established by
Powernext and EEX, where he led the European business development unit
of the company. David has a Bachelor and Master degrees in Economics
and Political Science.
The 3D Impact on Power Spot Trading
Speaker: David Assaad, Director Marketing & Customer Solutions, EPEX SPOT
- Decarbonisation: The impact of RES penetration in the spot power market.
- Digitalisation: How automated trading facilitates management of versatile
- Decentralisation: which new market actors and business models are
emerging and how the power spot market evolution help them grow.
Balancing Europe's National, Regional and EU-Wide Power System
Throughout the Entire Value Chain | From Power Generators, Distributed
Resources, TSOs, DSOs and Prosumers
- Utilising new elements, methods & technologies to balance the electricity
- Using EVs as a balancing mechanism: Case study – the Netherlands
- Potential role of blockchain technology as a congestion management tool.
Speaker: Jan Vorrink, Manager National Control Center, TenneT - TSO BV
Jan Vorrink is the manager of the National Control Centre of TenneT
TSO BV which is the Dutch Transmission System Operator. Jan
graduated with a Master in Business Administration and is an Engineer.
- The benefits that energy storage can provide and issues to be addressed
- Deploying a robust smart grid for the future to enable the integration of
renewable and distributed energy resources
- Supporting customer choices, improve grid stability and to improve power
- The use of innovative energy technologies and energy storage
The Role of Energy Storage in Smarter Energy Infrastructures
Speaker: Dr. Lawrence E. Jones, Vice President, International Programs,
Edison Electric Insitute (EEI)
09:00 (CET) Presentations on Demand
Energy as a Service | Forming a Strategic Partnership with the Customer
- Compiling several customer offerings into one holistic Energy
- Savings without investments - The customer journey
- Offering commercial flexibility products
As a specialist in the Nordic, UK and German electricity wholesale and Ancillary
Services markets Thomas is responsible for the regulatory management of
Orsted's flexibility business through strategic development, regulatory impact
assessment, as well as business processes and solution design. Projects
include Smart Energy, Demand Response and flexibility.
Speaker: Thomas Kudela, Regulatory Manager, Distribution & Customer
Solutions, Orsted (Dong Energy)
The Evolving Role of Prosumers in Increasingly Flexible Energy Systems
- Different types of prosumer models: households, communities, commercial
- How incentives are changing (due to the EU's clean energy package and
- The increasing role of flexibility in prosumer models.
Leveraging Electrical Power as a Vehicle for Energy Efficiency
- How Energy utilities can meet their obligations to reduce the amount of
energy delivered to customers by 1.5 per cent each year (Article 7
- Balancing obligations of increased electricity consumption with
- Promoting energy efficiency by focusing on less prescriptive and more
- Adopting methods to promote more effective energy-saving
technologies and energy efficiency.
Speaker: Djordje Zebeljan, Energy Policies, New Technologies, R&D,
- Rejuvenation of key assets - Balancing investments in new production vs
ageing legacy assets.
- Impact and management of distributed RES Production
- Responsibly managing hydro assets in environmentally sensitive areas
Investments, Holding Slovenske Elektrarne (HSE)
HSE is a state-owned power generation company in Slovenia. It is the largest
company in Slovenia and was established by a government decision in 2001.
The company consists of hydroelectric plants based on the Drava, Sava, and
Soča rivers and coal-fired power plants in Brestanica, Šoštanj, and Velenje.
Speaker: Layla Sawyer, Business Analyst, smartEn (Smart Energy Europe)
Layla Sawyer works as a business analyst for smartEn, the European
business association for digital and decentralised energy solutions. Her
focus is on flexibility, digitalisation and the future of prosumer models.
Previously she worked at various NGOs in the Netherlands, advocating for
more urgency in the Dutch energy transition. She also spent a year in the
Philippines working for a social investment fund specialized in climate
resilient enterprises. She studied Sustainable Business and Innovation at
the University of Utrecht, with a special focus on energy and material
transitions and p2p energy trading.
Meeting the Commitment to Deploy 2.5 Million Charging Spots by 2025
|Speaker: Christopher Burghardt ,Managing Director for Europe,
Enel X – How to Lead the Transformation of the Energy Sector Through
Digitalisation, Sustainability and Innovation
- Overview of the US power market and new regulatory developments
- Utility scale power storage
- Development and future requirements of bulk power systems
- Cyber, physical security, and potential GMD and EMP emergency
Speaker: Brian Evans-Mongeon, CEO, Utility Services (USA)
Brian Evans-Mongeon has over twenty-five years of experience in the electrical
utility business working for both Green Mountain Power corporation as a power
operations & administration manager and Vermont Public Power supply authority
as a marketing services manager. As the president and CEO of Utility Services, he
is responsible for oversight of constituent’s ERO compliance and monitoring, ISO
& NEPOOL markets, and renewable energy trading and associated activities.
USA Power Market Developments, Resilience, New Technologies & Risks
- Using purchasing power to procure and generate electricity from
renewable sources and create significant market pull.
- The options and models available to SMEs and the supportive public
policies and programs required to ensure that companies have easily
accessible options to obtain renewable power greater corporate
Corporate Sourcing of Renewable Energy: Market, Industry Trends,
Business Models and Procurement Strategies
Speaker: Ruud Kempener , Policy Officer, European Commission, DG Energy
Directorate-General for Energy, based in Brussels, reports to the European
Commissioner for Energy and Climate Action and to the Vice President of the
Commission responsible for Energy Union. DG ENER is focused on creating a
competitive internal energy market to lower prices, to develop renewable
energy sources, to reduce energy dependence and to reduce energy
Dr. Lawrence E. Jones has over twenty-five years of experience in the energy
sector. He joined the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) in September 2015 as VP,
International Programs, where he oversees operations in over 90 countries.
Speaker: Giuseppe Montesano, Deputy Director, Enel Foundation
- Changes to power generation portfolio structure in medium to long term
- Strategies for RES operators for keeping their installations running without
government or national support schemes.
- The role of Guarantees of Origin (GOs) and how will this be addressed as
it increases in importance due to the Renewable Energy Directive (REDII).
- Embarking on the most significant period of growth in the midst of a
revolution in transportation.
- Investments in charging infrastructure to successfully usher in the future
- Supporting a critical role in facilitating the transition to electric mobility
and developing technology that enables cleaner transportation to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions worldwide.
|"The quality of speakers
Luis Ferreira, Head of
Energy Efficiency & Electric
"Excellent overview of the
challenges being faced by
the utilities industry today
the technical solutions
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
situation in European
"Extremely useful to be
energy markets, the return
informed of the current on
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Financial Planning Director
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
VP - Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
E.ON & EURELECTRIC
|2021 World Energy Report | Covid-19 Crisis & New Energy Price Dynamics
The Implications for Power Utilities and Energy Systems
|Achieving the European Energy Transition and Effectively Working
Towards a Decarbonised Power System
Enel X has progressively expanded its services by acquiring companies
specialized in strategic sectors for the digitization of energy services, and by
creating partnerships with companies from other industries such as
automotive, home automation, ITC, and real estate. Enel X’s activity in the field
of the electric mobility has led to the progressive installation of charging points
- Transforming homes to make them more comfortable and sustainable.
- Transforming businesses to unlock new value.
- Transforming cities to improve citizens quality of life.
Innovative Network Operation Planning Tools for the TSO and DSO
|Speaker: Dr. Guillermo Senior Advisor to the President, VELATIA
- Leveraging digitalisation as the key to solve the upcoming challenges of
the distribution network without compromising the safety, reliability and
sustainability of energy systems.
- Managing the change in the paradigm of energy flow given increasing
generation embedded in the Distribution System.
- Why implementing strong and resilient e-car smart charging infrastructure
deserves great effort in network planning.
- Addressing data protection and cyber-security harmonization in Europe to
ensure digital trust.
- Addressing the on going question for the power sector: to centralise or
- What blockchain technology can do for peer-to-peer trading models that
can serve energy markets in local power generation, storage and
- Dealing with the regulatory implications and settlement processes based
on the blockchain.
- The implications for network and flexibility operators.
|Energy Transition Impact on Power Sector Development and Investments
- Strategic overview of our energy and climate strategy (and green deal
impact on planning in Croatia).
- The focus of power sector infrastructure developments and investments
up to 2030 (with new adaptations relating to green planning).
- How to achieve the coupling of sectors via electrification as a major driver.
Speaker: Dr. Ivan Androcec, Section Head of Investment Strategy and New
Technology, Hrvatska Elektroprivreda - HEP
Electrification of Transport | E-Mobility & E-Trucking
Speaker: Dr. Gerd Schauer, Senior Technology Manager, Innovation &
DSOs and Citizen Energy Communities
- Congestion problems / re-dispatching due to the vast amount of
integrating renewable’s into the grid.
- Digital transformation impact, challenges and opportunities for DSOs
and energy communities.
- Managing the transition away from natural gas.
- Implementing the Clean Energy Package.
Dr. Schauer is based at the Innovation, Research and Development of
Verbund (Holding) and coordinates R&D activities. He graduated
“electrical engineer” (1981, Technical University of Vienna) and he
developed power electronics and converted EV for achieving PhD (1988,
University of Mining, Leoben). At Verbund he is involved in R&D-projects in
the fields of new renewable energiesand is Senior Technology Manager in
the Competence Centre (hydro power, PV, wind, biomass) and electric
vehicles. His task is the general management of research activities at
|New Energy Communities: Opportunities & Challenges for the Power System
Utilities and Operators
- Definitions from the EU directives (RED II, IEM)
- Implementation of ECs in the existing regulatory framework
- Support of ECs: exemption from system fees vs explicit incentives
Speaker: Diana Moneta, Head, Active Networks: Demand and Distribution
Management Group, RSE | RICERCA SUL SISTEMA ENERGETICO SpA
RSE carries out research into the field of electrical energy with special focus
on national strategic projects funded through the Fund for Research into
Electrical Systems. Activity covers the entire supply system with an
application-oriented, experimental and system-based approach.
Empowering Distributed Energy Markets
- Experiences in establishing and maintaining access to electricity in the
wake of extreme weather events and other anomalies
- Rebuilding in Puerto Rico and home microgrid solution demand surge due
to recent California wild fires.
- Incorporation of next generation of clean energy storage: How Blue Ion
systems provide reliable, safe and cost-effective clean energy solutions
- How businesses and utilities policies, planning and regulations can
facilitate collective actions.
Speaker: Christopher Johnson, Chief Executive Officer, Blue Planet Energy
Speaker: Rebecca Gu, Commercial Lead, Electron
Speaker: Paul de Wit, Senior Advisor Regulatory Affairs, Alliander
Paul de Wit, is the senior advisor for Regulatory Affairs at Alliander and is heavily
involved with EG1, Eurelectric and the new Alliander DSO entity.
Review and Update: The Energy Efficiency Obligation (EEO) Schemes
Within the EU - Implications for the European Power Sector
- Overview of the methodologies being planned and used in Member States
- Expected outcomes and their impacts
- Implications for the power industry
Speaker: Anne-Katherina Weidenbach, Policy Officer, DG ENERGY
Anne Katherina is a lawyer and deputy head of section Gas Transmission Network
Deputy Co-Chair of ACER CAM TF, she is involved in the implementation of NC CAM
and in the development of the incremental process. Prior to joining BNetzA, she
worked for several years as an attorney-at-law with an international law firm in
Brussels where she practiced in competition and energy law.
- Innovating /digital transformation using the ´Agile´ methodology.
- Doing the enablement of client teams to embed the solution in the
- Examples of success stories of implementation within power utility energy
Introducing the Bionic Power Networks of the Future
|Speaker: Ferdinand Varga, Managing Director & Senior Partner,
Boston Consulting Group
- The new security needs of the new power operator
- Keeping up with new threats - System life-cycle & upgrade
- Frequent security problem areas and new approaches to manage them
- Case study examples of threats and attacks
- Adopting a collaborative approach to grid security
Speaker: Emil Gurevitch, Security Software Engineer, NES Corporation
Emil Gurevitch is an experienced information security expert passionate about
building a smart grid platform that meets tomorrow’s expectations of safe and
resilient critical infrastructure. He has deep technical knowledge in infiltrating
mission-critical systems and a strong background in conducting vulnerability
research, exploit development, and business oriented risk analyses.
Smart Meter Systems Security – Attack & Defence
Speaker: Oliver Weinmann, Managing Director, Vattenfall Europe Innovation
Oliver Weinmann is Managing Director of Vattenfall Europe Innovation.As a
subsidiary of Vattenfall GmbH and part of the Vattenfall Business Area Wind the
enterprise focuses on business development and steering of activities in the
field of product and technology development, mainly related to renewable
energies. In 2010 he was appointed as MD of Vattenfall Europe Innovation.
Getting Smart Charging to Mainstream & Sharing Benefits With Consumers
Speaker: Luís Tiago Brandão Ferreira , Technology & Innovation Department for
- What kind of investments do we want and at what pace
- EVs: the champions of flexibility?
- The role of smart charging and where to price it
- Some of our initial results with smart charging pilots
- The role of the DSO in EV charging
Energy Efficiency and Electric Mobility, EDP DISTRIBUIÇÃO
EDP Distribuição - Energia, S.A. operates an electric power distribution network
regulated by the regulatory entity for energy services in Portugal. The company
is based in Lisbon, Portugal. EDP Distribuição - Energia, S.A. operates as a
subsidiary of EDP - Energias de Portugal, S.A.
Enedis Flexibility Roadmap: Challenges and Successes to Move From
Experiments to Embedment of Local Flexibilities in Operational Processes
The session above will be a technical overview of the use of flexibility-enabling
technologies and methods to enhance the energy transition and the
performance of the distribution network. Enedis is a French public service
company, and operator of the electricity distribution network which develops,
operates, modernizes the electricity network and manages the associated data.
Independent of the energy suppliers responsible for the sale and management
of the electricity contract, Enedis performs connections, repairs, meter reading
and all technical interventions.
Speaker: Hubert Dupin, Head of Flexibility Department, Smart Grids, ENEDIS
- Smart Connection Offers (SCO) to connect customers (consumers and producers) to the MV
grid faster and at lower cost.
- Promoting the development of RE by optimising grid planning under the Regional Renewable
Energies Connection Master Plans (S3REnR).
- Flexibilities as an alternative to power resupply resources before or following an incident.
- Flexibilities to enhance work planning, defer investments and to conclude flexibility contracts
- The local flexibilities roadmap
Developing and Maintaining Critical Power Assets in Context of Distributed
RES Production & Storage Methods and Technologies
|Speaker: Antonio Cammisecra, Head of Global Infrastructure and Networks ,
Antonio Cammisecra recenly transitioned to Head of Global Infrastructure &
Networks (in October 2020). Antonio was previously Head of Global Power
Generation and CEO of Enel Green Power S.p.A and a member of the board
of Endesa SA.
More Connected, Intelligent, Efficient, Reliable and Sustainable
Leveraging Digitalisation to Make Electricity Distribution Systems Globally
Establishing and Maintaining Reliable and Resilient Micro Generation and
Application of Artificial Intelligence within the Commercial Development
- Introduction to artificial Intelligence and machine learning.
- Application of AI within workflows, predictive analytics, grid management,
renewable power integration and load balancing.
- TSO and DSO applications and operational optimisation..
- Retail market applications: profitability and revenue maximisation.
|Speaker: Reji Kumar Pillai, President, India Smart Grid Forum
Chairman, Global Smart Grid Federation
Monday 30th November | Pre-Conference Forum Video-On-Demand Presentations Released
Wednesday 2nd Dec. | (13:00 - 17:00 (CET) | Live Interactive Discussion Webinar Sessions
Tuesday 1st December | Main Conference (EPD/ EPG) Video-On-Demand Presentations Released
Access to the Video-On-Demand Sessions and Live Webinar Discussions | The Video-on-Demand presentations and the live
webinar discussions will be released to all registered participants through a secure digital portal. Logistical details for virtual
access/attendance will be dispatched to participants in the preceding days via email.
Speaker: Helfried Brunner, Thematic Coordinator
Power System Planning and Operation, Austrian
Institute of Technology | DER Lab
This session will provide an overview of the INTERPLAN set of tools (grid
equivalents, control functions) for the operation planning of the pan-European
network and addresses several system operation planning challenges of the
current and the future 2030+ EU power grid, from both transmission and
distribution system perspectives, with a focus on the transmission-distribution
Seizing Energy Transformation as a Growth Opportunity
Speaker: Hando Sutter, Chief Executive Order, Eesti Energia
- Wholesale market issues and impacts of recent events.
- Targets and new business plans given current and future demand/supply
- The new parameters and projections for the future of the energy sector
with the current trends in oil prices (e.g. Estonia/ Europe).
- Increasing RES contribution to the power portfolio.
Prior to joining Enefit, Mr. Sutter served for four years as the Regional Market
Manager of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia for Nord Pool Spot, the largest
electricity exchange in the Nordic region. He has also served as a consultant in
the energy, investment and entertainment fields. He holds a degree in
mechanical engineering from the Tallinn University of Technology and in
business administration from the Estonian Business School.
of the Power Value Chain & the Retail Market
- Overview and key findings- an energy world in lockdown.
- Building on a sustainable recovery and achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Outlook for energy demand, electricity & fuel supply.
- Pathways to recovery and the different scenarios and policies needed to get
- Implications for the power utility and energy sector.
Speaker: Brent Wanner, Lead, Power Generation Analysis, World Energy
Outlook: Energy Demand Division -Technology and Outlooks,
International Energy Agency