Agenda: Tuesday 1st December | All Sessions
|Main Conference Day 1 | European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
Exhibition opens at 08:15 | Conference sessions held from 08:50 - 18:30
Sector Integration, The Next Step in Energy Transition
Speaker: Oliver Weinmann, Managing Director, Vattenfall Europe Innovation
- Overview of key markets and how they are evolving.
- Overcoming economics and barriers to development.
Oliver Weinmann is Managing Director of Vattenfall Europe Innovation.As a
subsidiary of Vattenfall GmbH and part of the Vattenfall Business Area Wind the
enterprise focuses on business development and steering of activities in the
field of product and technology development, mainly related to renewable
energies. In 2010 he was appointed as MD of Vattenfall Europe Innovation.
|Speaker: Francesco Venturini,Chairman and CEO, Enel X
- Adapting your business strategy and transition to a low-carbon economy
- The changes in the distribution of electricity
- The impact and growth of renewables and new technologies
- Empowering customers with 'smart' innovation, digital services
Carbon Economy | Implementing New Technologies & Distribution Systems
Limited to a maximum of 10 participants per discussion, the end-of-day private round table
discussion groups provide participants with an excellent networking opportunity. Participants
pre-register their seat to come together over a specific issue and speak openly and frankly on
issues and challenges with their peers and leading specialists offering a valuable opportunity for
focussed and extended exchange of knowledge, ideas and solutions.
End-of-Day Private Round Table Discussions | 17:30 - 18:30
18:30 | Day 1 Sessions End
David Assaad has more than 10 years’ experience in the power market. He
integrated EPEX SPOT, the European Spot Power Exchange established by
Powernext and EEX, where he led the European business development unit
of the company. David has a Bachelor and Master degrees in Economics
and Political Science.
The 3D Impact on Power Spot Trading
Speaker: David Assaad, Director Marketing & Customer Solutions, EPEX SPOT
- Decarbonisation: The impact of RES penetration in the spot power market.
- Digitalisation: How automated trading facilitates management of versatile
- Decentralisation: which new market actors and business models are
emerging and how the power spot market evolution help them grow.
Balancing Europe's National, Regional and EU-Wide Power System
Throughout the Entire Value Chain | From Power Generators, Distributed
Resources, TSOs, DSOs and Prosumers
- Utilising new elements, methods & technologies to balance the electricity
- Using EVs as a balancing mechanism: Case study – the Netherlands
- Potential role of blockchain technology as a congestion management tool.
Speaker: Jan Vorrink, Manager National Control Center, TenneT - TSO BV
Jan Vorrink is the manager of the National Control Centre of TenneT
TSO BV which is the Dutch Transmission System Operator. Jan
graduated with a Master in Business Administration and is an Engineer.
- The benefits that energy storage can provide and issues to be addressed
- Deploying a robust smart grid for the future to enable the integration of
renewable and distributed energy resources
- Supporting customer choices, improve grid stability and to improve power
- The use of innovative energy technologies and energy storage
The Role of Energy Storage in Smarter Energy Infrastructures
Speaker: Dr. Lawrence E. Jones, Vice President, International Programs,
Edison Electric Insitute (EEI)
Energy Efficiency as an Alternative Power
Speaker: Lada Strelnikova, Portfolio Manager Sustainable Investments at
DWS, Lead investment Manager European Energy Efficiency Fund, DWS
(Deutsche Bank Group)
Lada Strelnikova is Director at DWS (Deutsche Bank Group). She is
responsible for managing the Investment Advisor mandate for the European
Energy Efficiency Fund. Prior to taking this role Lada was involved in
establishing and managing the Global Climate Partnership Fund focused on
energy efficiency investments in emerging markets and was holding various
strategic business development positions across Deutsche Bank units. Born
in Russia, she is a MBA graduate from Australian National University and holds
a degree in finance and accounting from the Finance Academy Moscow.
09:00 Sessions & Opening
Energy as a Service | Forming a Strategic Partnership with the Customer
- Compiling several customer offerings into one holistic Energy
- Savings without investments - The customer journey
- Offering commercial flexibility products
As a specialist in the Nordic, UK and German electricity wholesale and Ancillary
Services markets Thomas is responsible for the regulatory management of
Orsted's flexibility business through strategic development, regulatory impact
assessment, as well as business processes and solution design. Projects
include Smart Energy, Demand Response and flexibility.
Speaker: Thomas Kudela, Regulatory Manager, Distribution & Customer
Solutions, Orsted (Dong Energy)
Discussion 2 | Power Utility Transformation & Digistisation
Discussion 3 | Trading Developments, Systems, Markets & Volumes
Discussion 4 | T&D System Requirements for Managing 40-60% RES
Discussion 5 | EV Infractructure Development & Power System Integration
Discussion 6 | New Technology Utilisation in Distributed Power Systems
Discussion 7 | Security System Design Within Smart Grid Architecture
Discussion 9 | EU Regulatory Developments & Risk Management
Discussion 1 | CEO/MD & Power Europe Executive Advisory Panel
Discussion 10 | Demand Response Systems for Power Generators
Discussion 8 | Storage Systems & Distribution & Retail Market Applications
Discussion 11 | Middle East & Africa Power Systems Development
- Energy security as the cornerstone of our economies especially during
- Ensuring Electricity security and resilient energy systems as they are more
indispensable than ever for modern societies.
- Why clean energy transitions must be at the center of economic recovery
and stimulus plans.
- The effect of geopolitical price wars between major oil producing nations.
- Revised energy demand forecasts, pricing and dynamics
Case Study: Project cVPP - How Citizens and Communities are Becoming
an Ever Increasing Part of Energy Transition
Power Portfolio Management and Strategy: Responding to the Challenges
Created By Decarbonisation, Hydrocarbon and Electricity Price Dynamics
- Creating a regional and cross border electricity market
- Allow for efficient use of renewables, avoid grid congestion and system
costs, and retaining the economic benefits of renewables
- How the 'Electricity Directive and the Renewable Energy Directive' has set
down a clear set of rights and requirements for national level support to
promote the development of P2P energy systems.
Speaker: Hando Sutter, Chairman of the Management Board, Eesti Energia
- Wholesale market issues.
- Targets and new business plans the current oil price economy.
- The new parameters and projections for the future of the energy sector
with the current tendencies in oil prices (e.g. Estonia/ Europe)
- Increasing RES contribution to the power portfolio
Prior to joining Enefit, Mr. Sutter served for four years as the Regional Market
Manager of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia for Nord Pool Spot, the largest
electricity exchange in the Nordic region. He has also served as a consultant in
the energy, investment and entertainment fields. He holds a degree in
mechanical engineering from the Tallinn University of Technology and in
business administration from the Estonian Business School.
Leveraging Electrical Power as a Vehicle for Energy Efficiency
- How Energy utilities can meet their obligations to reduce the amount of
energy delivered to customers by 1.5 per cent each year (Article 7
- Balancing obligations of increased electricity consumption with
- Promoting energy efficiency by focusing on less prescriptive and more
- Adopting methods to promote more effective energy-saving
technologies and energy efficiency.
New Approaches and Innovation to Manage Power DSO & TSO Transition
Challenges | Impacts of Smart Technologies and Distributed Generation
Open Keynote Discussion Led by the Power Europe Executive Advisory Board:
- Utilising blockchain technology as a potential congestion management tool
- Examining spot pricing for European retails markets
- Future assignment of roles and responsibilities on distributed power systems
- Tipping point for RES and PV - implications for generators and the power market value chain
Speaker: Sotiris Georgiopoulos, Head of Smart Grid Development,
UK Power Networks
Sotiris is responsible for business rollout of the successful innovation
projects and the delivery of UK Power Networks’ DSO strategy. Sotiris
has over 10 years experience with UK Power Networks in the areas of
innovation, construction and energy services development.
Developing and Maintaining Critical Power Assets in Context of Distributed
RES Production & Storage Methods and Technologies
Speaker: Djordje Zebeljan, Energy Policies, New Technologies, R&D,
- Rejuvenation of key assets - Balancing investments in new production vs
ageing legacy assets.
- Impact and management of distributed RES Production
- Responsibly managing hydro assets in environmentally sensitive areas
Investments, Holding Slovenske Elektrarne (HSE)
HSE is a state-owned power generation company in Slovenia. It is the largest
company in Slovenia and was established by a government decision in 2001.
The company consists of hydroelectric plants based on the Drava, Sava, and
Soča rivers and coal-fired power plants in Brestanica, Šoštanj, and Velenje.
Speaker: Hubert Dupin, Head of Flexibility Department, Smart Grids
Getting Smart Charging to Mainstream and Sharing Benefits With Consumers
Speaker: Luís Tiago Brandão Ferreira , Technology & Innovation Department for
- What kind of investments do we want and at what pace
- EVs: the champions of flexibility?
- The role of smart charging and where to price it
- Some of our initial results with smart charging pilots
- The role of the DSO in EV charging
Energy Efficiency and Electric Mobility, EDP DISTRIBUIÇÃO
EDP Distribuição - Energia, S.A. operates an electric power distribution
network regulated by the regulatory entity for energy services in Portugal.
The company is based in Lisbon, Portugal. EDP Distribuição - Energia,
S.A. operates as a subsidiary of EDP - Energias de Portugal, S.A.
Agenda | Day 1
& Round Table
Speaker: Dr, Anna Wieckzoreck, Assistant Professor at the School of
Innovation Sciences, Eindhoven University of Technology
Dr. Wieczorek is Assistant Professor at the School of Innovation
Sciences at Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands.
She is a sustainability transition expert with over 20 years of
experience. Anna studies new ways of organising systems such as
energy, through new market models (e.g. P2P) and new institutional
Meeting the Commitment to Deploy 2.5 Million Charging Spots by 2025
|Speaker: Christopher Burghardt ,Managing Director for Europe,
Enel X – How to Lead the Transformation of the Energy Sector Through
Digitalisation, Sustainability and Innovation
Interflex Smart Grid Project: Advanced Management and Operation Strategies
for Distributed Energy Resources
This session will specifically address:
Speaker: Christian Dumbs, Project Coordinator, Interflex
- Advanced management and operation strategies for distributed energy
- Dealing with complex curtailment management
- The integration of customer-owned flexibility in grid operation
- Concepts for demand side management from a DSO perspective
As the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme, Horizon 2020, the smart grid project
InterFlex was officially launched in January 1st, 2017. For the three years of its Duration 20 project
partners will explore new ways to use various forms of flexibilities in the aim of optimizing the
electric power system on a local scale. InterFlex investigates the Interactions between Flexibilities
provided by energy market players and the distribution grid, with a particular focus on energy
storage, smart charging of electric vehicles, demand response, islanding, grid automation and the
integration of different energy carriers (gas, heat, electricity).
Looking Forward to a Decarbonised, Decentralised and Digitalised Energy
System, As We Replace Conventional Generation with Renewables, While
Simultaneously Electrifying Heat and Transportation
- Changes to power generation portfolio structure in medium to long term.
- Moving to tailored centralised and decentralised power infrastructure
solutions to cities, urban areas and suburbs.
- How energy will be valued and traded in future.
- Overcoming the challenges in distribution network congestion.
- How local network congestion can be managed, and by whom.
13:00 - 14:00 | Lunch in the Networking Lounge
- Overview of the US power market and new regulatory developments
- Utility scale power storage
- Development and future requirements of bulk power systems
- Cyber, physical security, and potential GMD and EMP emergency
Speaker: Brian Evans-Mongeon, CEO, Utility Services (USA)
Brian Evans-Mongeon has over twenty-five years of experience in the electrical
utility business working for both Green Mountain Power corporation as a power
operations & administration manager and Vermont Public Power supply authority
as a marketing services manager. As the president and CEO of Utility Services, he
is responsible for oversight of constituent’s ERO compliance and monitoring, ISO
& NEPOOL markets, and renewable energy trading and associated activities.
USA Power Market Developments, Resilience, New Technologies & Risks
- Using purchasing power to procure and generate electricity from
renewable sources and create significant market pull.
- The options and models available to SMEs and the supportive public
policies and programs required to ensure that companies have easily
accessible options to obtain renewable power greater corporate
Corporate Sourcing of Renewable Energy: Market, Industry Trends,
Business Models and Procurement Strategies
Speaker: Ruud Kempener , Policy Officer, European Commission, DG Energy
Directorate-General for Energy, based in Brussels, reports to the European
Commissioner for Energy and Climate Action and to the Vice President of the
Commission responsible for Energy Union. DG ENER is focused on creating a
competitive internal energy market to lower prices, to develop renewable
energy sources, to reduce energy dependence and to reduce energy
Dr. Lawrence E. Jones has over twenty-five years of experience in the energy
sector. He joined the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) in September 2015 as VP,
International Programs, where he oversees operations in over 90 countries.
Speaker: Giuseppe Montesano, Deputy Director, Enel Foundation
Discussion Leader: Stephen Woodhouse, Director, AFRY
Antonio Cammisecra became Head of Global Power Generation on 1
October 2019 and has been Head of Africa, Asia and Oceania since 2017.
He is also CEO of Enel Green Power S.p.A and a member of the board of
Endesa SA. He will transition to Head of Global Infrastructure & Networks in
- Changes to power generation portfolio structure in medium to long term
- Strategies for RES operators for keeping their installations running without
government or national support schemes.
- The role of Guarantees of Origin (GOs) and how will this be addressed as
it increases in importance due to the Renewable Energy Directive (REDII).
- Embarking on the most significant period of growth in the midst of a
revolution in transportation.
- Investments in charging infrastructure to successfully usher in the future
- Supporting a critical role in facilitating the transition to electric mobility
and developing technology that enables cleaner transportation to
reduce greenhouse gas emissions worldwide.
Speaker: Brent Wanner, Lead, Power Generation Analysis, World Energy Outlook:
Energy Demand Division -Technology and Outlooks, International Energy Agency
|"The quality of speakers
Luis Ferreira, Head of
Energy Efficiency & Electric
"Excellent overview of the
challenges being faced by
the utilities industry today
the technical solutions
currently available and
Marketing Director, Wärtsilä
"An exceptional summit.
Very good speakers that
completely satisfied what I
wanted to hear about.
Excellent job by the EPG
ADMIE S.A (Greek T.S.O)
"Extremely informative and
insightful regarding the
most recent power market
preparing for the
challenges ahead - All
excellent speakers and
presentations, thank you!"
"Attending Power Europe I
get important additional
insights regarding the
occurring in the European
Structured Finance - Power &
Renewables. ING Bank NV
"Extremely useful to be
situation in European
"Extremely useful to be
energy markets, the return
informed of the current on
electricity pricing structure
and market design."
Financial Planning Director
NP Market Council
interesting attendees and
perfect organisation - a
networking MUST! "
VP - Commercial & Business
" An excellent conference,
very informative and
extremely well organised. "
E.ON & EURELECTRIC
|Speaker: Antonio Cammisecra, Head of Global Power | & Incoming Head
of Global Infrastructure and Networks , ENEL
|2020 World Energy Report | Covid-19 Crisis & New Energy Price Dynamics
The Implications for Power Utilities and Energy Systems
|Achieving the European Energy Transition and Effectively Working
Towards a Decarbonised Power System
Enel X has progressively expanded its services by acquiring companies
specialized in strategic sectors for the digitization of energy services, and by
creating partnerships with companies from other industries such as
automotive, home automation, ITC, and real estate. Enel X’s activity in the field
of the electric mobility has led to the progressive installation of charging points
- Transforming homes to make them more comfortable and sustainable.
- Transforming businesses to unlock new value.
- Transforming cities to improve citizens quality of life.
Enedis Flexibility Roadmap: Challenges and Successes to Move From
Experiments to Embedment of Local Flexibilities in Operational Processes
Leveraging Digitalisation to Make Electricity Distribution Systems Around the
World More Connected, Intelligent, Efficient, Reliable and Sustainable
|Speaker: Dr. Guillermo Senior Advisor to the President, VELATIA
- Leveraging digitalisation as the key to solve the upcoming challenges of
the distribution network without compromising the safety, reliability and
sustainability of energy systems.
- Managing the change in the paradigm of energy flow given increasing
generation embedded in the Distribution System.
- Why implementing strong and resilient e-car smart charging infrastructure
deserves great effort in network planning.
- Addressing data protection and cyber-security harmonization in Europe to
ensure digital trust.
A technical overview of the use of flexibility-enabling technologies and
methods to enhance the energy transition and the performance of the
- Selecting units in a VPP to provide ancillary services.
- Enabling utilities and operators of decentralized energy resources to
monitor the feed-in values of plants in real time.
- Creating a win-win situation for the plant operator as well as the
- Entering the VPP business - The technology and economics.
Speaker: Aleksandra Radwanska, International Business Development
Manager, Next Kraftwerke GmbH
How a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) is Smartly Distributing, Controlling and
Monitoring Distributed Assets to Ensure Stabilization of the Grid
|European Power Strategy & Systems Summit
& Power Project Financing and New Technologies Forum
Digital Edition | 30th November - 2nd December 2020